Senior Quantity Surveyor
We have a permanent vacancy for a dynamic and systems savy Cost Estimator, ideally based at our head office in Wellington.
Transpower connects New Zealanders to their power system, through safe, smart solutions for today and tomorrow.
Key to this is our Grid Projects Division who, through collaboration and with a focus on safety, consistently improve and apply our project planning, project management, stakeholder engagement, procurement and construction skills to improve the quality and reliability of assets while reducing costs.
The ability to accurately estimate costs for capital works means both Transpower and regulatory bodies can have greater confidence when making decisions about investment and funding.
About the team
As part of Grid Projects, our Estimation team helps make sure Transpower has accurate cost estimations for all pricing of capital works by ensuring a consistent and robust cost estimation process is in place.
•making sure people involved with cost estimation for Transpower have access to accurate information and the highest quality tools, systems and processes
•taking steps to improve the quality of Transpower's cost estimates wherever possible so that the business gets the best results.
About the opportunity
We have a permanent vacancy for a dynamic and systems savvy Cost Estimator, ideally based at our head office in Wellington, however there is location flexibility (Wellington/Hamilton/Christchurch/Auckland) for the right person.
You will work with and manage Transpower's Enterprise Estimating System (TEES), a web-based system which gives:
· access to accurate, up-to-date information for the business, our customers and service providers
· high-level 'building blocks' for easier, faster creation of estimates with supported assumptions at an early stage
· the ability to escalate around forex (foreign exchange) and commodity prices
· high quality forecasting capability, such as spending curves to show where spend will occur over time
· risk management capability
· the ability to cost new lines faster
· high quality analysis of actual costs, and translation of these back into the database
· more transparent reporting capability
· more confidence to stakeholders around significant funding decisions.
As cost estimation is carried out by a number of people within Transpower including our Grid Works team, as well as Engineering Design Consultants, you will enjoy working across the organisation to facilitate and enable a consistent and robust cost estimation process.
You're a proactive, inquisitive and resilient individual who looks for opportunities to improve processes and find win-win solutions. Your strong communication skills, technical know-how and attention to detail will see you develop great relationships with your customers built on a foundation of credibility and trust.
You're seeking a corporate position that provides great work/life balance, challenge and variety - which is why this role is perfect for you.
Qualifications, experiences and skills:
Your previous experience, CV and cover letter will demonstrate:
· ideally a minimum of five years' experience as a Cost Estimator or Quantity Surveyor
· proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Office business software applications
· experience with proprietary costing systems and applications, e.g. Success Enterprise by US cost
· well-developed communication and influencing skills
· understanding or skill in project management
· sleuth-like ability to find appropriate information through astute questioning
· proven ability to pitch in and build strong collaborative relationships and networks
· a professional qualification in cost engineering or quantity surveying.
While not essential, an understanding of electricity transmission and distribution will be highly desirable.
Why work for Transpower?
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. Our people are made up of 28 nationalities which makes for a dynamic and stimulating environment. We support on the job learning and professional development and offer challenging, meaningful work in an exciting and evolving sector.
If you are an experienced Cost Estimator/Quantity Surveyor, who seeks a busy role with challenge, variety, autonomy and the opportunity to actively build and maintain positive relationships, please review the position description below and apply without delay.
To apply for this job see here
Applications close 17th March 2019